Tuesday, February 12th, 2013...10:06 pm
Last Minute DIY Valentines
If your kid is anything like mine, you may be finding yourself with fewer than half of the handmade Valentines she promised she’d make just days before she needs all of them ready. Those first two Valentines Nora made with all of the craft supplies we went and bought three weeks ago? Those two are amazing. But the next two? Not so much. And the last six that she needs? Not going to happen.
This happened last year too – last minute Valentines panic when she was just too spent to finish them all. So last year I headed to the local store and bought some Princess Valentines and called it a day.
I could have done that this year too – but with all of the cute photo Valentines I saw out on the blogosphere, I wanted to try something a little more personal. All those cute photos of kids posed to look like they’re holding a lollipop inspired me. But Nora hates posing for photos these days and I don’t really know how to work with photos well enough to make it look right, so I went with something so. much. easier.
1. I doctored two recent favorite photos of Nora and Miles into a Valentine themed photo on picmonkey.
2. I uploaded the photos to the Walgreens website and ordered enough wallet size prints for each class. (And they happened to have a 66% off coupon that day so the whole thing cost less than $5.)
3. I went to Walgreens to pick up the photos.
Really, it could be as easy as that. The cards on their own were cute enough, really. But Nora wanted more…
So we used the bubbles and craft tape we had bought for her handmade Valentines. Which led to steps four and five:
4. Write classmates’ names on tape.
5. Tape bubbles onto the back of the Valentine.
Nora was so impressed with our product that she declared it the best idea we’ve ever had. She’s so excited to give these out on Thursday and I can’t say I blame her. I’m pretty excited about them too.